As a kid I built my own Legoland at home.
I slept on a bed constructed of Lego. I was well and truly hooked on a brand. I just never realized it.
Today, I am witness to brand addiction at unprecedented levels. Cunning marketers using tricks and traps designed to serve one purpose. To make you buy.
As an insider I knew I had to do something to expose the reality of what really goes on behind the scenes.
Plus I had the first-hand knowledge to prove it: secret data-mining. Chemically addictive make-up.
Advertising purposefully aimed at developing fetus'!
Brandwashed reveals not only who is doing it.
But how they do it.
Picking up from where Vance Packard's bestselling classic, The Hidden Persuaders, left off more than half-a-century ago, Lindstrom reveals:
- New findings that reveal how advertisers and marketers intentionally target children at an alarmingly young age – starting when they are still in the womb!
- Shocking results of an fMRI study which uncovered what heterosexual men really think about when they see sexually provocative advertising (hint: it isn't their girlfriends).
- How marketers and retailers stoke the flames of public panic and capitalize on paranoia over global contagions, extreme weather events, and food contamination scares.
- The first ever neuroscientific evidence proving how addicted we all are to our iPhones and our Blackberry's (and the shocking reality of cell phone addiction - it can be harder to shake than addictions to drugs and alcohol).
- How companies of all stripes are secretly mining our digital footprints to uncover some of the most intimate details of our private lives, then using that information to target us with ads and offers 'perfectly tailored' to our psychological profiles.
- How certain companies, like the maker of one popular lip balm, purposely adjust their formulas in order to make their products chemically addictive.
- What a 3-month long guerilla marketing experiment, conducted specifically for this book, tells us about the most powerful hidden persuader of them all.
This searing expose introduces a new class of tricks, techniques, and seductions – the Hidden Persuaders of the 21st century- and shows why they are more insidious and pervasive than ever.
"I've only read two business books from cover to cover in the last five years: Buyology and Brandwashed. It is no coincidence that Martin Lindstrom is the author of both of those books. Brandwashed is smart, thought-provoking, and laugh out loud funny."
- Steven Levitt, Professor of Economics at the University of Chicago and bestselling author of Freakonomics
"If you buy products, you need to read this book. It's really that simple."
- Tom Rath, New York Times Bestselling author of StrengthFinder 2.0 and How Full is Your Bucket
"If you want to learn to cut through marketers' phoney health and wellness claims and make smarter decisions - about both your body and your money - you need to read this eye-opening book."
- Dr Oz, bestselling author of YOU: The Owner's Manual Health Series
"I am fascinated and empowered by Martin's work, both as a business woman and as an individual consumer trying to buy smarter! Martin has changed the way I view brands and consumer behaviors. Very enlightening!"
- Tyra Banks
"A crucial bridge between the unconscious mind, the brand that's marketing to you, and the impulse to buy...it's a wake-up call that you can't afford to ignore!"
- Jean Chatzky, bestselling author of Money 911, Financial Editor NBC Today
"I can't think of a better tour guide to take us into the black box that is brand marketing. I'll never look at my favorite brands the same way again!"
- Bill Tancer, bestselling author of Click: What Millions do Online and Why it Matters
"Martin Lindstrom makes the point that marketing today is about connecting with the consumers emotionally in order for them to participate in the brand. Surely he received some of his inspiration from Priceline.com and "the negotiator."
I found his book insightful and informative."
- William Shatner
MARTIN LINDSTROM is a 2009 recipient of TIME Magazine's "World's 100 Most Influential People" and author of Buyology - Truth and Lies About Why We Buy (Doubleday, New York), a New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestseller. Lindstrom is the CEO and Chairman of LINDSTROM Company and Chairman of BUYOLOGY INC. (New York and Tokyo) as well as BRAND sense Agency (London). Lindstrom is an advisor for top executives in numerous Fortune 100 companies including McDonald's Corporation, PepsiCo, American Express, Yellow Pages, Procter & Gamble, Microsoft Corporation, The Walt Disney Company, Unilever, Nokia and GlaxoSmithKline, amongst others.
Find out the truthView the videos
Get a glimpse into a new class of tricks, techniques, and seductionsRead an Excerpt